13 June 2013

Generic Facade

Following the mainstream of these days fashion has become awfully stagnant. The outfits people wear become forgettable, akin to each others' and unbearably typical.

The same as personality, most people in our society have personalities that more or less, have little to almost no differences to one another. It becomes easy to dissect and estimate their reactions to the tied events. Take a deeper look and notice how shallowness surrounds us. I'm not saying that most people are boring (merely implying, perhaps) since everybody is different—unique in their own ways— but we became biased by the view of society of how things should and shouldn't go. This, makes us become generic. This, makes us become easy to develop prejudices among things that don't go along with the society's view.


Society molds us into generic people. We are not free to become ourselves. Essentially, I am saying that people are boring because they are too influenced. Too biased. Prejudicing much. People worry that they will not be accepted by their peers so they follow what's been set in their path to befriend others. We often have to act the way we are expected to. Facades are what make us fit into our surroundings.


Breaking into deeper part, the root of these biased views is actually the media. Media molds society. Society molds us. We became society, and we then mold other people to become just like us- or at the very least, to act the way we expect them to. 

Speaking of such, this reminds me of one other thing.

Universal mentation contrives idealism for society. 

This revelation came to me when my Sociology and Native Speaker teachers gave us a view about people's idealism of beauty. Media creates the idea of beauty. Like in the 50's where curvy women rule the front covers of magazines until Twiggy step in and completely changed people's perception of woman's ideal body figure. Also, the majority of women in Indonesia started adapting long black, straight, silky hair when it became popular because of the advertisements shown on tellies. I still remember my elementary days in 2008 where many of my friends would straighten their hair when rebonding became a trend. The generic ideas of beauty here are having straight hair and white skin.

Media influences the society, fogging our opinion to certain extent.

Oh, just a side note. 
We were wearing the exact same outfits when we met. Without making any agreement prior. 


Generic Facade
April to 8 June 2013

19 comments:

  1. yeah, hoping that my life will change for the better.yes, you get the point. people these days are far too biased. media takes a big part in this society indeed. really fun shots you took by the way!
    xx,bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely!
    shall we follow? let me know :)

    sweet and sugars,
    Dias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this really awful urge to be sarcastic.

      Delete
  3. Seriously, when i got to the big sentence near the end of the post i was like, "Okay, i need a minute to digest all this."

    Other than that, i really get your point. Heck, i AM a student of Media Studies for god's friggin sake. This is what we talk about in classes and coffee shops (of course, with the 'right' people. Otherwise they would tell you that you are too serious and "no fun").

    The state of the media is hopeless. And i don't mean the mainstream ones, but also the so-called "new", or "participatory", or "reciprocal", "democratic", "whatever shit they're calling it" media. I mean blogs. I mean, don't you think that fashion blogs are all about skinny, white girls with hot pants? There's no room for "the others" because blogs--or those so-called "new voice in fashion" media--are made within the society which has been always been making us conform!!

    But anyway, it's pointless to talk about this critically since i am in a way conforming to the society by dieting and posting self-portraits in a blog.

    I also like your writing. I'm waiting for another social critic from you.

    P.S.:
    I think this is the only 'virtual' place where i don't go bubbly in comments.

    SUPERNICE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the state is hopeless. People get lied everyday by advertisements that show endless strings of figures concerning woman's ideal body image. Photoshop by airbrushing is crucial in creating ads. But that is reality, it is much sweeter to get lied than to acknowledge the truth. Though, Debenhams made a bold move to cut back on airbrushing of their UK Store lingerie models.

      Fashion blogging became a trend in the year where Tavi Gevinson first made her appearance in public through many magazine interviews around the year of 2008-2011. In all honesty, everyone must want to be recognized. When they saw how Tavi is recognized by simply doing a fashion blog, everybody became influenced and started doing their own "fashion blogs", stating themselves as "fashion addicts" even though they only recently became interested. They want to taste fame. Look at how many blogs are influenced by Tavi. Even my blog is a bit influenced (?)

      Haha, guess we are all affected to follow the mainstream. People will always agree in what's universally accepted.

      I also like to look up Google a lot and I'm glad that you don't find the need to be bubbly in this virtual place.

      Delete
  4. a lot of what you said here i agree with. shallowness indeed surrounds us and most of the time the blame is on the media. maybe it's true maybe it's isn't. but it's good that you have an objective, third-party kind of view on this so that you can manage yourself not to live down to the surrounding shallowness ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the post agreeable. Really? Some said I have an impersonal kind of view when commenting about something. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Agree to what you said. The best place on Earth is where we can live happily being ourselves and find no prejudice. Anyway thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog.

    How tall I am? It's approximatelly 170cm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the best place on Earth is my room, haha. You're welcome.

      That's quite tall. I'm only 154 cm.

      Delete
  6. it is such a deep blog post, I do really agree with media creates it. everything. and we need a super power to say no to the trends on the media, I myself thanking God that I need to buy other important thing so I don't spend my money on stripes and checker pattern which you can see everywhere you go. But yeah, I don't know how long I can survive from this media attack, they really strong!
    do you guys sibling or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I hate the stripes and checker patterns too. It was cool before it became a trend.

      Siblings with whom?

      Delete
  7. Has just read this blog post and I must say that you are absolutely right. And I'm ashamed that sometimes I do cave in to what society wants me to be. I remember wanting to buy a piece of clothing that I think as a really cute top but then changed my mind, because I know people will be judging me when I wear it. Even though I just simply like the top! I find that everyday I'm constantly battling with myself to become who I am without thinking about what people want me to be or look like, and it's hard.

    Anyway, thank you for your comment and constructive criticism on my blog! It's be nice if we could keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like something, go for it. All those people who succeeded in what they do can be the way they are now because they believe in what they like, what they want, what they need. Who cares about what people say. It's you who wear the top, not them. As long as you think it's acceptable, why not. You are the one responsible for what you wear, not them.

      You're welcome and thank you too! I'll certainly keep in touch.

      Delete
  8. well said really, i was stunned. cute photobox pictures <3

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  9. re: hey thanks for the the sweet comment! I've had the thought of selling my clothes, that's why I made the Shop My Closet section on the blog. but selling clothes takes much more time than I thought I can't do it anymore :( the book is awesome, if you like law and thriller plot. it speaks a lot about people's character and humanity and reality. love!


    FASHION GEEK'S CLOSET

    ReplyDelete
  10. well said! that is true that media is influencing people and trend both in good and bad ways
    love the photos

    xoxo
    style frontier

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree more!! Your right!



    http://clothes-and-fairytales.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice post & blog!
    Maybe we follow each other!?
    Follow me, Let me know & i´ll follow back ;-D

    xoxo

    Yulie

    www.YulieKendra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't particularly understand this gibberish sorry

      Delete

I don't know how to follow people on blogger. Obviously, I lied. Haha.